The Bible Advocate is excited to announce its first-ever writing contest for young writers. Named in honor of LeRoy Dais, who dedicated himself to the GC Publications ministry and the distribution of God’s Word for nearly sixty years, the contest is one way we can show our commitment to cultivate a new generation of BA writers. Today’s young people are tomorrow’s leaders, so we want them to share their gifts and thoughts and dreams with us, the church.
Therefore, we are calling on all dads, moms, grandpas, grandmas, pastors, youth leaders, friends, and family to encourage the young people in your life and congregation to participate in this contest. It will be fun and eternally rewarding!
Here are the details.
Age categories: 14-17 years (boys); 14-17 years (girls); 18-21 years (boys); 18-21 years (girls). First place and runners-up articles will be awarded in each category.
First place recognition includes publication of the articles in the November-December 2020 BA print magazine and BA Online; award announcement and presentation by GC President Loren Stacy and BA editor Jason Overman at the 2021 convention; and $250 awarded to the YOUTH / SWORD group of the winner’s congregation.* Runners-up in each category will be announced in the BA magazine and at convention, and will be published in the BA Online.
Participation and submission rules
- Writers must be baptized believers of Jesus and fit the age categories outlined above.
- Articles may be on the subject of their choosing, but should be Bible based and include personal experience or cultural observation that inspires and informs. A key verse must be included (note the Bible translation). No fiction or poetry.
- Submissions must be original and unpublished, with quotes and sources properly identified.
- Articles must be 500-600 words in length and be written in English. They should include the author’s name, age, parents’ names, and congregation they attend.
- Articles must be submitted in a Word document attached to email and addressed to email@example.com. Please include WRITING CONTEST in the subject line.
- Submission deadline: April 30, 2020.
- Immediate family members of the BAP staff may not participate.
For more information, contact Sherri Langton at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jason Overman at email@example.com.
* Prize money is graciously given by an anonymous donor.
Download English flyer: Writer Challenge Flyer Eng
Download Spanish flyer: Writer Challenge Flyer Sp